The Moses McLean Farm
Situated on the North side of Mummasburg Rd. at the foot of Oak Hill, west of Gettysburg near the present day Peace Light Memorial stands the Moses McLean Farm.
Moses McLean was a prominent Gettysburg attorney who had served in the US Congress from 1843 until 1845. During the war he lived on Baltimore St. in town and rented the farm to the David H. Beams family.
David had been drafted in October of 1862 and was serving with the 165th Pennsylvania Infantry Regiment, a nine months regiment. The 165th was not at Gettysburg at the time of the battle. Instead, David was serving with Gen. Dix and was present at the Peninsula Campaign in Virginia, and mustered out later in the month.
David’s wife Harriet and three year old child were forced out of the house as Confederate Colonel O’Neal’s brigade moved across the farm fields under heavy fire from Union 1st and 11th Corps artillery. They returned after the battle to find the majority of their possessions gone and the house terribly abused and damaged as it was used throughout the battle as a Confederate field hospital.
In June 1872, a cargo of 279 wooden boxes containing 708 Confederate skeletons arrived by train to Richmond, Va. to be reinterred in Hollywood Cemetery. 469 of the soldiers were identified, the rest, being unknown. The majority of the remains were from the Nicholas Codori farm, field hospital sites at the Jacob Schwartz, David Schriver and Emmanuel Pitzer farms and the battlefield around the Moses McLean farm.
In 1868, Moses McLean petitioned the US government for payment of damaged and or stolen goods and property during the Battle of Gettysburg. His claim listed damage to his house and barn at $125.00, loss of eight acres of oats at $30.00, 13 acres of wheat at $84.00, one ton of hay at $12.00, 4546 fence rails at $454.60, 35 fence posts, three acres of corn, 40 lbs. of ham and 10 lbs. of beef. Total claim was $1,138.35.