95th New York Volunteer Infantry Regiment - “Warren Rifles”
Signed and numbered edition of 1863
Gettysburg Monument Replica Collection, Monument. Cast in stone resin and bonded bronze, complete with all engraved wording.
Sized at 6.5" X 6.5" X 13"
Crafted and Made in the United States
The monument to the 95th New York Volunteer Infantry Regiment is west of Gettysburg on Reynolds Avenue south of the Railroad Cut.
It was dedicated on July 1, 1893 by the State of New York.
The monument is made of white granite topped with a sphere of polished Thousand Islands red granite. The sphere, the full moon symbol of the First Corps, rests on a carved granite knapsack. A smaller round First Corps symbol is on the front base of the monument. A bronze tablet of the Seal of the State of New York is on the top front, with bronze text tablets on the right and left sides.
The 95th New York at Gettysburg
The regiment was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Colonel George H. Biddle. He was wounded on July 1st and Major Edward Pye took command.
The 95th brought 261 men to the field. It was one of the first Union infantry regiments to reach the battlefield, originally forming line of battle at 10 a.m. on July 1st at the site of the marker on Stone Avenue. But within a short time the Confederates of Davis’ Brigade were starting to flank the Union position by moving through the railroad cut north of Chambersburg Pike. The 95th New York joined in a charge which drove them out, inflicting heavy losses.
The regiment reformed north of the cut at the site of the noon marker. But continuing Confederate pressure forced the Union line back to the area around the Seminary shown by the 4 p.m. marker, where the 95th supported the final First Corps artillery line before retreating throught Gettysburg to Cemetery Hill.
After reforming south of Gettysburg the regiment was sent to Culp’s Hill, which it helped defend on July 2nd and 3rd.