8th Ill. Cav. Gettysburg Monument Replica
Signed and numbered edition of 1863
Gettysburg Monument Replica Collection, Monument. Cast in stone resin and bonded bronze, complete with all engraved Wording.
Sized at 5" x3" x7.5"
Reproduction Created and Made in the United States by Gary Casteel
The monument to the 8th Illinois Volunteer Cavalry is west of Gettysburg on South Reynolds Avenue
The monument was erected in 1890 on the original location of the monument of the 8th New York Cavalry, which was moved 100 feet to the south to “accurately mark the regiment’s main battle line on July 1, 1863.” The name on the rear of the monument, “David Diffenbaugh,” was the only member of the regiment killed at Gettysburg.
The 8th Illinois Cavalry had 491 men at Gettysburg, of whom David Diffenbaugh was killed, 5 men were wounded and 1 was missing.
It was dedicated in 1891 by the State of Illinois.