43rd North Carolina Infantry
Gettysburg Monument Replica
Signed and numbered edition of 1863
Gettysburg Monument Replica Collection, Cast in stone resin and bonded bronze, complete with all engraved wording.
Sized at 6.5 x 7.5 x 8
Crafted and Made in the United States
The monument to the 43rd North Carolina Infantry Regiment is southeast of Gettysburg on East Confederate Avenue.
Erected by the State of North Carolina 1988
From the monument
As they approached the field of battle on the morning of July 1, the 43rd North Carolina, along with the rest of Daniel’s Brigade, heard the distant booming of cannon. Early in the afternoon the regiment moved to the right and onto open ground where they were met by a furious fire. Their steady progress was checked by the deep railroad cut, but subsequent assaults were successful in breaking the Union line. Having suffered heavily, the regiment rested for the night west of town. The next morning the 43rd supported a battery just north of the Seminary. Shelling from guns on the nearby heights inflicted some losses. Toward evening the Regiment took up a position on the southern edge of town.
Before daybreak on July 3, the 43d moved to the extreme left of the Confederate line to take part in an assault on Culp’s Hill. Passing this point and advancing under heavy fire, they occupied earthworks abandoned by Union troops. Attempting to push beyond the works, the regiment was exposed to a most severe fire of canister, shrapnel and shell at short range. During the attack Col. Kenan was wounded and taken from the field and command passed to Lt. Col. Lewis. The Regiment retired to this point an remained exposed and under fire until ordered to recross Rock Creek in the early evening.