2nd Maryland Inf. CSA Gettysburg Monument Replica
Signed and numbered edition of 1863
Gettysburg Monument Replica Collection, Monument. Cast in stone resin and bonded bronze, complete with all engraved wording.
Sized at 5.5" x5.5" x10.5"
Crafted and Made in the United States
The monument to the Confederate Second Maryland Infantry is southeast of Gettysburg on Culp’s Hill.
This was the first Confederate monument on the battlefield and met a great deal of resistance from the battlefield commission authorities. It was finally allowed to be erected and was dedicated in 1884. But the commission required it to be designated as the “2nd Maryland Infantry” even though the unit was known as the First Maryland Battalion at the time of the battle.
The reason given was there were already two Union regiments designated as the First Maryland (First Maryland Potomac Brigade and First Maryland Eastern Shore), and the Confederate 1st Maryland Battalion had been redesignated as the Second Maryland Regiment in 1864. So the monument was erected to the “2nd MD. INFANTRY C.S.A.”