28th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry Regiment
On the Gettysburg battlefield. The monument on Slocum Avenue was dedicated by the State of Pennsylvania in 1885.
The 28th Pennsylvania was commanded at the Battle of Gettysburg by Captain John H. Flynn. It brought 370 men to the field, losing 3 killed, 23 wounded and 2 missing.
Lieutenant John P. Nicholson of the 28th Pennsylvania would go on to become the Chairman of the Gettysburg National Park Commission
The rough-hewn stone monument is inset with a bronze tablet. It is dominated by the five pointed star that is the symbol of the Union 12th Corps. A carved stone forage cap is in the center of the base.