21st Ohio Inf - Chickamauga - Monument Giclée Print of Original Art by Gary Casteel
Small - Sized at 11" x 8.5"
This marker to the 21st Ohio Infantry Regiment is located along a path in the wooded area behind the Brotherton Field on the east side of Lafayette Rd in the Chickamauga National Military Park.
This regimental, Lt. Col. Dwella M. Stoughton commanding, engaged the enemy late Sept. 19th, 1863, east of Dyer's Field, remaining there till 10:30 A.M. Sept. 20th, then moved to this ridge. Being armed chiefly with Colt's revolving rifles, it maintained for a time, an extended line supported only by detachments of other regiments. About 2:30 P.M. it was relieved by Col. Van Derveer's troops to replenish ammunition. Returning to the line it occupied this place, maintaining it by hard fighting til after sundown when troops to the right were withdrawn without notice and being nearly surrounded, with ammunition exhausted, a part of the regiment was captured.