The monument to the 155th Pennsylvania Volunteers is south of Gettysburg near the summit of Little Round Top.
The granite monument stands just under sixteen feet high and was dedicated on September 17, 1886, with funding provided by members of the regiment and their friends. Its original design did not include a statue.
In 1889 the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania provided $1500 for each state regiment to provide monuments at Gettysburg. While many other regiments that already had monuments elected to use their funds to erect a second monument, the survivors of the 155th Pennsylvania decided to use the funds to add a statue to the top of the existing monument.
The statue was to be in the Zouave uniform, even though the regiment did not wear it at Gettysburg. The 155th earned the right to wear the uniform in the months after the battle for its proficiency in drill, and it was such a source of pride that the survivors felt it to be an important part of the identity of the regiment. Gettysburg veteran Samuel W. Hill of Company F posed for the statue, which was dedicated on September 17, 1889.
The Zouave statue faces toward the enemy at the foot of Little Round Top and away from the front of the statue.
A third dedication was held on September 17, 2005, by Descendants, Reenactors & Friends of the 155th, who provided $7,000 worth of repairs and restoration of the monument. Since that time the monument has again been vandalized, with the tip of the statue’s musket broken off.
The fourth dedication was held September 14th, 2019 by Descendants, Reenactors & Friends of the 155th after the vandalism was repaired